Subject: Re: [Leica]Elmar 2.8/50 Collapsible
From: CapsTeeth <CapsTeeth@aol.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 10:24:57 EST

> Hi all,
>
>  I just got one of these. Nice lens. Can't wait to see the first results. A
>  little slow for my liking but then the price is under $1000 too. Does
>  anybody have any positives about this lens (hold the negatives for a
while)?

>  Steve

                       Assume this refers to the current version (orig.
intro'd with the M6J)...I recently acquired a chrome one in mint cond. with
the case and shade for under $700...it looks terrific on an M2!  The purists
with oprtical benches might debate its performance vs. a Summicron but the
images say "Leica" to me.  Certainly by f 5.6 (a usual shooting aperture)
there is no humanly noticeable difference.  It's a cool lens.  Enjoy it!  I
only wish there was a way to remove the M-bayonet mount and install a screw
mount instead.  Then it would be usable (and authentic-looking!) on an LTM
body, and with an adaptor, on the M's as well.

Doc