Subject: Re: [Leica] New Leica user questions: MR, quick film load, 90/2.8
From: CapsTeeth <CapsTeeth@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 1997 12:28:33 EST

> - Is the MR meter a useable item?
                  You do need to take the camera away from your eye to adjust
the camera to the meter reading value, so I prefer a hand-held digital meter
such as the Sekonic L-408 which has incident, flash and 5-degree spotmeters.
The trade-off is size and "authenticity".  From what I've heard, a properly-
working MR, once the Mercury-battery situation is resolved through one of
several alternatives, is a very accurate if a bit slow-reacting meter.

>  - Is it worth the $40 to upgrade the camera to the rapid-load film system?

               I have not heard of any reputable Leica technician offering to
convert an M2 to the full M4 take-up mechanism for this amount.  Are you
perhaps speaking of the "quickload kit" consisting of a slotted spool and
baseplate guide?  That kit works well for me, and does not involve a permanent
modification to the camera.  You can easily remove it and use an original
spool should you desire.

>  - What's the best buy in a 90/2.8.  I understand some had a glue problem?
                The Tele-Elmarit of the 1970's vintage is a fine lens.  I've
heard tell of the "bad glue" problem but I've never actually seen one, and the
lens I have is crystal-clear.  The lens is barely longer than a 50 Summicron
and has a nice hood that reverses for storage.  It is more compact than the
latest version, and is about 1/2 the price.  Shine a penlight through it and
look for signs of any problems.