Subject: Re: [Leica] Feininger & 3.5F
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 18:14:56 -0800

> Bill Barrett wrote  re The "Photojournalist" image

I have the book, "Andreas Feininger: Experimental Work" (Amphoto 1978),
with "The Photojournalist" identified ony with the notes "(Dennis Stock)
(1951)". Regarding it and the photo of an arachnologist holding a scorpion
on the facing page, the caption recounts, "Two unconventional,
'experimental' portraits conceived to tell something about the profession,
interest, or specialty of the depicted person, thereby giving the viewer a
more significant picture."

 I remember seeing the print many times over the years and was really
pleased to find the beautifully printed version of it full page in the book
on page 124. Looking back, I'm sure it had a lot to do with my early love
of Leicas, promoting no doubt a subconscious wish to be as "connected" with
my camera as the man/camera portrayed.

The main identifying feature of the LTM body is the flat diopter adjustment
lever below the rewind knob, making it a III c, d or f. You can just make
out the slow speed dial under a finger. I believe the Summitar serial
number starts with 804, which puts the lens in 1950 production.  The IIIf
was also new in 1950, so that would be my guess. The viewfinder completes a
compelling image of the new photojournalist, beautifully fitting the face.
However, it sits quite high above the body and doesn't look like any Leica
finder that I'm familiar with.

The funny thing I remember is for some reason thinking that the face was a
woman's the first several times I saw it years ago.

Gary Todoroff