Subject: RE: [Leica] Buying abroad...
From: Simon Ogilvie <simon_ogilvie@ionica.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 16:55:45 -0000

Marvin wrote:

>  I have here on my desk, an UK catalog from "Jessop Photographica"
>  in which there is a statement "Equipment prices include VAT - for ex-
>  port out of the UK deduct 15%.

I assume that 15% is referring to the UK VAT rate, in which case your
catalogue is out of date by quite a few years!  We changed to a VAT rate
of 17.5% a long time ago (I forget exactly when - perhaps 12 years ago?)
so the prices in that catalogue will be very out of date.  On top of
this, the
pound is strong against European and US currencies, so UK prices are
correspondingly low at the moment.

Still, I expect NY and Japan prices will still be better..

By the way, I recently bought the Leica Fotographie M6 edition which
struck me as rather low on content for the 10 pounds (US$17) they charge
in the UK!  At 50 pages that's 20pence per page...

Better value was the M6 instruction book I ordered from Leica UK which
was
completely free - they didn't even charge me for the postage!

Simon.

Ionica, Cowley Road, Cambridge CB4 4AS
Tel (01223) 223000
Fax (01223) 223100