Subject: [Leica] 2.8/100 APO R+APO Ext R 2x
From: "Roger Beamon" <beamon@primenet.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 18:05:20 -0700

Looking for input on subject combination. Some background:

Have a local friend who was interested in the combination. Don
Chatterton literally refused to sell the APO Extender R 2x for that
purpose (friend already had the lens).  Don's reason for his attitude
was, simply, that it didn't produce good results. I emailed Leica Tech
Service in Germany and asked about the combination since the Leica
Handbook lists it as valid. I did not disclose the source of the
negative opinion. In a reasonable time, the reply from Tech Service
came back and was in line with the Handbook recommendation, i.e. it is
valid; do it!

Based on this input, friend acquired a new APO Extender R 2x from
another vendor. He was not impressed with the results. Apparently,
there was a good deal of sharpness fall off both in center and edges.
The lens, by itself, spoils you and you look for similar performance
with the extender. Though I didn't see the results, my friend has a
keen eye and his word was good enough for me.

Anyone else with experience with this combination? The two sides of the
issue are rather far apart. I suspect that if it were not for the fact
that we are discussing an acknowledged "champ" in Leica's stable of
lenses, used with their APO Extender, we might be better able to accept
the usual degradation in performance using extenders.

- --
Roger Beamon
       Naturalist & Photographer
       mailto:roger@beamon.org

          Thought for the day:
      It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.