Subject: [Leica] Leica Dream system
From: Steve Beyer <stevebeyer@sprintmail.com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 09:55:11 -0500

    I am still lost what to buy for my dream Leica system.  I have just made some
moves and sold and bought what I will consider my working Nikon kit. (Hey at
least for now:-) )  and now I would like to  start working on building up my
Leica kit.  I currently have

Leica M6
M35 Summicron
M50 Summicron
M90 Elmarit

I am going to take Ted Grant's and Tom Donovan's recommendation and add the M50
Noctilux.
I think this will make a great system.  Am I missing a gem that I you could not
live without?

    I am beginning to wonder if I am not nuts but I am longing to start an R
system.  I don't plan to get rid of my Nikon system although I have drastically
cut it back to make more room in my bag for the R.  My local dealer is having a
Leica day where Leica will be selling at about dealer cost less the rebates.
With the rebates of $250 <100 and $500 rebates on lenses of => 100, I figure this
is an excellant opportunity to pick up a R8 and a couple of lenses.  I have
listened to what you all have said and have looked at most of the reviews and I
have to say that I am totally confused. :-)

    Does anyone have any feeling on the differences between the 80-200
vario-elmar  and the 70-180 vario APO-Elmarit. If you owned the Elmarit would you
still buy a 80 summilux or 100 APO Macro Emarit?  Why would you want to own a 80
over the 100 or would you?  The 100 is cheaper especially when you take the extra
rebate and it seems to get unbelievable reviews from the press.  Would you
consider owning both since they are very close in focal length?

    Hey, I know you can't anticipate my needs and that in this arena there
probably really are no right answers but this is a major investment and I would
like to lessen my potential losses by feeling out your opinions.  I guess I am
interested in why you have your  lenses and what lenses you would like to have.
Cost is always important but I am planning on owning these for a long time so it
is not a major issure. Thanks for taking the time to help out a confused fellow
LUGGER and putting up with these questions. :-)

Steve