Subject: Re: [Leica] Faas, Horst, and Betrayal
From: jessen@gearbox.esd.sgi.com (Jesse Newcomb)
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 1997 23:46:18 -0800

On Dec 6,  2:32pm, Marc James Small wrote:
> Subject: [Leica] Faas, Horst, and Betrayal
> Well, I for one, feel a bit aggrieved at the job done by Western
> photo-journalists in Viet-Nam.  The US, for God's sake, was putting men IN
> HARM'S WAY and the photo-journalists, by undermining their efforts, stabbed
> them rather dramatically in the back.  It wasn't journalism:  it was trash.

Well, let's see... There was the photo of the young girl running nude from her
village, who's clothing had practically been burned off her back as the US
Military rained flaming petroleum down from the sky... and the Mai Lai massecre
(sp?), & US Military walking from house to house setting fire to thatched
rooftops... so many photos and photojournalism that called it like it was - an
army from the other side of the world coming in to put down populist revolution
and bombing more than hundreds of thousands of civilians in a country they
weren't even at war against (Cambodia) - and Thanks to the photojournalists who
called it like it was and helped bring this country to its senses, albeit very,
very late. If that was trash, at least it wasn't crap.

- --
                                    Silicon Graphics USA
  Jesse Newcomb                       Mountain View, CA
  jessen@sgi.com                     tel 415 933-2026
  http://reality.sgi.com/jessen_esd  fax 415 390-6159