Subject: Re: [Leica] Faas, Horst, and Betrayal
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 20:56:07 -0600

At 02:32 PM 12/6/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, I for one, feel a bit aggrieved at the job done by Western
>photo-journalists in Viet-Nam.  The US, for God's sake, was putting men IN
>HARM'S WAY and the photo-journalists, by undermining their efforts, stabbed
>them rather dramatically in the back.  It wasn't journalism:  it was trash.

Others have responded better, kinder than I almost did to Marc's uniformed
rewriting of history.

It is a slander against Robert Capa, Dickie Chappel and the rest of the
journalists who died over there with the GRUNTS - those whose lives and
bodies were on the line for the "non combatants" who put them there - who
opposed the war way before the government came to its senses.

The press were welcomed over there by the grunts. THEY convinced the press
the war was unwinnable. David Halberstam, that bastion of liberal
journalism (hey, Liberals weren't what they used to be) was gung-ho for the
war until the grunts in '63 or '64 convinced him the war was unwinnable.

The brass lied to the President and Congress. (See Gen. Westmorland's suit
against 60 Minute's accusation that he lied about body counts - 60 Minutes
won).

That's all I'll say. I'm so mad I could spit.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Photography can light-up darkness and expose ignorance.

Lewis Hine 1904