Subject: Re: Re: Leitz / Japanese BL finders / my eyes
From: bfranson@greennet.net (Bill Franson)
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 1997 13:09:45 -0500

My suggestions on your thread:
The Negative is a great book to understand the effects of exposure and
development variations. It's difficult to apply when you string 36 exposures
under varying light conditions on one roll. Easier if you shoot medium
format and have several film backs.

Years ago I used to shoot Tri-x at 200 and underdevelop. This worked well at
the time but now I need all the film speed I can get. I have switched to
TMax 400 rated at 400, process in HC110 1:7 at 70 degrees and shave 30 sec
off the recommended time. I print on variable contrast paper with a cold
light head. I'm very pleased with the results. I would suggest a head to
head comparision of Tri-x and TMax. I've tried Xtol developer but don't like
the results.

One caution. Short development times can sometimes introduce uneven
development. 5 min is the shortest I will go.

Bill