Subject: Noctilux and Super Elmar
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 16:22:53 -0500

Alastair.wrote:

<<<<< If I bolt on the Noctilux for my next journey OT, do I need to carry
another 50mm lens. Yes, the Nocti is heavy, but not as heavy as carrying it
and a summicron. So I have been wondering the same thing as our previous
caller.
If I love using the Nocti in low light, but run across a situation where I
want more of the effect of the less specialized 50, can I normalize the
Nocti by stopping him down a peg or two, or is the lens always too
contrasty to render pleasing images in less demanding lighting?>>>>>>>

Alistair,

Just go with the Noctilux, it's a wonderful lens at any aperture, and an
absolutely magnificent lens wide open. Sure I guess if one wants to get
down to the nitty gritty high tech stuff between another 50 and the
Noctilux, I guess you "might be able to see with the naked eye" some
difference. But that's techie stuff. When you stop the damn lens down it
works just fine, so run with the one lens and forget all the tech stuff and
have a damn good shoot.

No you don't need ND filters unless you're using only high speed film and
the ND filter is the only way to cut the light, after you are at 1/1000 and
stopped down as far as the lens will go. Good idea to have some slower
speed film available.

<<<I am getting these vibes about the R series 15mm lens as well. If you
want to send me bankrupt and divorced keep making comments about this lens,
as I've spotted one second hand.>>>>>

Well hell, get divorced and get the lens! One has to have some special
priorities in their picture taking lives! :)  I mean you are talking the be
all to end all 15mm lenses here. It is the king of the mountain on an R8 or
any other R camera.

If you're not prepared to buy, don't even try!:)

Once you look through the camera with the 15mm attached you are doomed to
purchase!! Or suffer severe withdrawl symtoms, nightmares, stomach cramps
and moments of screaming dilerium and that mentions only a few nice things
that can happen. I wouldn't dare tell you how bad it really becomes until
you hold that baby in your hands as your verey own! :)

ted