Subject: Re: Russian 20mm lens for Leica
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 11:11:52 -0800

At 07:43 AM 11/28/97 -0800, Jack Gottlob wrote:
>Could you tell me who sells the lens?  I don't see any advertised.
>jack gottlob

I replied to exactly this question this morning in private mail from
another LUGger, but since it appears of interest I'll send it to the list
as well.

I got my Russar from Woodmere Camera.  They charged $399 for lens and
finder.  I've bought stuff from them before -- they have a reasonable
return policy (send it back if you don't like it for an exchange or a
refund).  The lens was made in 1996, but I'm not sure if it was new,
because it didn't come with the nifty packaging.  The first one they sent
me wouldn't open all the way -- I exchanged it for one that did.

I would do business with Woodmere again -- I've gotten a couple of things
from them that I sent back, but basically they seem pretty reasonable.  But
if I were to try to get a Russar today, I'd call up Igor Cherednichenko at
the Russian Camera Exchange, at 510-704-9771.  I've never bought anything
from him, but I've talked to him at shows a few times, and he has great
prices and seems like a reasonable fellow.

- -Patrick