Subject: Leica Glow according to Leitz
From: leicas@isham-research.demon.co.uk (Phil Payne)
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 16:53:42 GMT

In message <01bcfa69$a7736940$bbd186cc@bledsoe> "don" writes:

> From: Phil Payne <leicas@isham-research.demon.co.uk>
> >>I do have one Leitz lens (and only one) that is a real disappointment wide
> open - it's a 135mm Elmarit.<<
>
> In what respect is your 135 Elmarit disappointing wide open?  Mine is one of
> the two most pleasant performers wide open that I have had the pleasure to
> use.

That's the unanimous opinion of everyone I discuss this with.

Mine is very flat - in contrast terms - wide open.  It's OK at f4, and
very good indeed from there on.  It was rebuilt at Wetzlar (looking for
mis-aligned elements) and it made no difference.  I never use it wide
open - but at f4 the increased focussing precision resulting from the
bug-eyes is still worth having.

This lens has been the subject of copious discussion in the Leica threads
on CompuServe's Photography forum.

- --
 Phil Payne