Subject: Leica Glow according to Leitz
From: leicas@isham-research.demon.co.uk (Phil Payne)
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1997 10:53:48 GMT

In message <971126043922_178781358@mrin83.mail.aol.com> Leikon35@aol.com writes:

>  The best example of a photograph having the "Leica Glow" is on pg93
>  of Lager's "Leica Literature" and it was taken with the infamous Leitz
>  Thambar (probably wide open).  As someone else has already stated,
>  according to Leitz  "The characteristic of a lens  (such as Noctilux or
>  Thambar)  is only apparent at maximum aperture", stopped down past
>  f:5.6, most lenses lose their special qualities.

The Thambar is a special case, and a very difficult lens to use.  At
around f5.6, it has excellent resolving power and quite good contrast.
Wider open than this, the results are very rapidly affected by
abberations.  A special disc is available (supplied with the lens) for
blocking out the central portion entirely and _just_ using the outer
part of the lens to accentuate the abberations.   There's a separate
f-stop scale for when the central stop is in use.  Very much a 1930s
soft focus idea.

It would be fun one day to mount one on a digital camera and watch the
effects in real time.

I do have one Leitz lens (and only one) that is a real disappointment
wide open - it's a 135mm Elmarit.  To make up for that I have a 90mm
Summicron that seems to outperform others' expectations.

Another interesting lens (but mine is long since sold, to buy a 75mm)
is the 85mm Summarex.  It has a kind of coma in the corners at wide
apertures and can be real fun to use.

- --
 Phil Payne