Subject: VB: About the R4
From: Johnsson Stefan <stefan.johnsson@km.se>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 19:50:55 +0100

Thanks Chip,
Yes, obviously the prices for second hand stuff is a little bit lower in
U.S. and Germany than here in Sweden. 500.00 is regarded as a good price
here, and normally you would have to pay more than that when you buy it
in a store. Probably you can find R4's to a lower price through private
sales, but the advantage of getting a 6 month warranty is a security to
me, for which I am willing to pay a little bit extra. But I haven't
bought it yet...

I contacted the Leica agency here (actually in Denmark), and they warned
me for Leica R4's below serial numbers of approx. 1580000, which they
said were very problematic regarding the electronics. If one is
uncertain which model one has (before or after that number), they said
that the old model has two visible screws below the mirror. The newer
model does not have these screws. The R4 that I have seen is therefore
of the newer model.

Once I had a Leicaflex SL with which I was very satisfied. I only had
one lens, a 35/2,8 from the 60-s, but it was suberb. But I sold all my
equipment two years ago to afford a new Leica M6, and I thought that
this would be the only camera for me. But my idea now is to get some
R-body and use it where it is difficult or impossible to use the M6. For
instance macro-photography (60/2,8) and architectural photography with a
PC-lens (35/4 or 28/2,8). I know that I can use a Visoflex on the
M-body, but I am not really fond of the idea. By the way I have seen a
lot of second hand ads of the Schneider 35/4 PC-lens, but not even one
of the PC-Super-Angulon 28/2,8. Why is that?

/Stefan