Subject: Mixing M and R's
From: Michael Hintlian <MichaelHintlian@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 1997 06:15:09 -0500

"Ferdinand U. LuDo" writes:

<<Does anybody here have experience with this scenario ? Perhaps some
comments and suggestions (pro's and cons) would be nice to hear.>>

Ferdinand;

My daily bag basically consists of 2-M6's and an R6.2.  A 35mm f2.0 is
permanent on one of the M6's, the other shares itself between a 21mm and =
50.  The R camera has a 28mm almost always and I keep a 70-210 zoom in th=
bag for that occasional moment I need the reach.  =

The road to success is always under construction...hence, I am constantly=

tuning and re-tuning my bag -- sometimes only in very minor ways.  While =
could very happily use a kit with two M6's -- one with a 28 the other wit=
a 50 (and no bag) -- for 94% of my work, the closer focusing of the 28R a=
nd
the ability to stick the zoom on and get something otherwise 'ungettable'=

provide flexibility not available with M's alone.    =

I do have an ongoing complaint -- the shutter speed dials on the M's and
the R's go in different directions.  Once familiar with the M camera, one=

may change shutter speed direction (slower or faster) or f-stop (up or
down) without looking.  The R camera shutter speed dial is reversed from
the M so it can be confusing -- when working quickly between both systems=

one must consciously slow down when changing shutter speeds.  Fortunately=
,
the R lens aperture and focus rings work in the same direction as the M.

To answer your question, flexibility in one LIGHT bag is my ongoing
mantra...I invite you to look closer at this approach.  Bottom line, whil=
it may take some getting used to, the M's and R's mix very well.  =

Good luck.

Michael