Subject: Re: Photokina 98
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 23:28:19 -0800

At 06:31 PM 11/23/97 -0800, Frank Filippone wrote:
>Is it desirable and possible that we could ask Leica to hold a Leica
>Academy course at the same time our meeting occurs in Germany?   These
>courses seemed to be about $500 for a week's course.
>
>Since it is basically our group that would attend, it might be further
>possible to ask for a specific course.
>
>What does the LUG think?
>

>Thank You
>Frank Filippone

I've been to Photokina several times. In 1980 I worked the Wilkinson
Photographic booth. For those of you that haven't been to Photokina, you
should be aware that it is HUGE. It makes shows like Comdex or CES look
like a church bazaar. If you are interested in all aspects of photography,
35mm, MF, LF, darkroom, lighting, commercial equipment, AV, multimedia,
digital, etc, etc, etc..., it will take you the better part of a week to
fully take-in what is there. There are multivision shows, equipment tests,
and stuff you never dreamed existed. If you take your time and really
take-in everything, and then hopefully have time to go back and re-visit
the important booth, plan on spending a lot of time walking and looking.

My point is that, at least for me, with the size and scope of Photokina, I
could spare a day to visit Solms, but an additional week for the Leica
Academy would not be possible. If the Academy were held during Photokina,
doing both, I believe, is all but impossible.

But don't let me dampen anyone's desires. Go for it. I'll see you at
Photokina.

Jim