Subject: Re: Leica/Nikon/Canon
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 11:31:03 -0600

At 03:52 AM 11/23/97 -0500, you wrote:

> Canon technology that it took over 25 years to catch up.  Now they
> do have the superb but motorless R8 but Nikon has a digital back
> I hear.  Anyone of info on it?

Nikon has a digital camera. It's nearly worthless with a maximum aperture
of 6.7 and a card that holds only 15 pictures. There are Kodak digital
cameras that use the N90S body, but you can also get the same electronics
with an EOS1n for the same price. No comparison.

There is no back, to date, for the F5. Nikon and Kodak will not have one in
the forseeable future. R&D too expensive. I got that directly from a Kodak
Tech. who works on digital cameras.

Leica has a digital camera. The S1, exposure time 3 minutes. Image file
75megs. Uses M and R lenses. That's cool, but what good is a Noctilux at a
3 minute exposure? <G>

The R8 with no motor built in is more adaptable to a digital back, so I
hear. But you still have to cock the shutter and move the mirror, so I
wonder about that reasoning.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The distinction between past, present and future is only an illusion, even
if a stubborn one. - Albert Einstein