Subject: Re: And The Minox ML of course
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 1997 00:16:52 GMT

At 09:14 22/11/97 +0000, you wrote:
>Joe,
>I just broke down and bought a demo/new 35ML and I have a question for you.
>It seems
>that the viewfinder has a rather poor, blurry quality as compared to any
>other Minox I've
>tried. Is it because of the halfmirror for the LED display? Is yours like
>this? If it's
>normal, I suppose I can survive it but if it's not, I'd like to have Leica
>fix it.
>Thanks,
>Danny Gonzalez

I hadn't consciously noticed a problem but now that you have drawn my
attention to it and I've looked at it again, there is a bit of flare, some
light reflections and something less than the clarity of say, an M6
viewfinder. But I got it used for UKP 120 and it never occurred to me to
look critically at the viewfinder optics, since they've been good enough for
the use I give it. It's been so long since I used any other Minox 35 that I
wouldn't be able to compare. I wouldn't have used the word "blurry" though-
the image in the viewfinder isn't blurred, it's just washed out to some
extent with flare and reflections. Maybe you could compare yours with
another ML. It is certainly possible that there is a price to pay for having
that mirror in the viewfinder. Ahem; I just compared my ML vf to the vfs in
an early Rollei 35 and a Ricoh GR1 and both were noticeably and distinctly
better than the ML.

Joe Berenbaum