Subject: Re: Tube bokeh
From: Bert Keuken <b.k@pi.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 17:16:03 +0100

>I often see it written that tube amplifiers, while they have much higher
>measurable distortion than solid state designs, may still sound more
>pleasing. Perhaps we are discussing an optical analog to this in the Bokeh
>thread.
>
>Nick H

No, there is a scientific explanation for that.
Distortion in tube amps causes it to produce even harmonics, transistor
amps produce odd harmonics. Even harmonics are more pleasing to the human
ear. Why else would hard rock guitar players use a Marshall tube amp?
Note: I'm *not* implying hard rock music is pleasing to the human ear.
=========
Bert Keuken