Subject: Re: Bokeh:a mythical construct
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 00:01:54 -0800

I see now that Erwin in fact did not mean what I mean by "bokeh" when he
sent his earlier messsage.  When I use the word "bokeh", I refer to the way
in which a lens renders out-of-focus portions of an image.  I believe that
different lenses do this differently; some do it in a way I find more
pleasing and others in a way I find less pleasing.  Thus I do not regard
"bokeh" as mythical or subjective, but as a real phenomenon that can be
measured.

In Erwin's recent message, he says that he also believes that different
lenses will render out-of-focus parts of an image differently.  Thus I
conclude he was using the word "bokeh" differently than I would.  In
reading messages on the list and articles on the Web, I see that people use
the term "bokeh" to refer to many things -- even narrow depth of field
achieved with wide apertures.  I find this all pretty confusing.  From now
on, I'm going to try to use more clumsy, but perhaps less confusing,
English expressions like "rendition of out-of-focus image areas."