Subject: Re: Processing equip breaking
From: Jack Gottlob <sam@injersey.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 17:18:37 -0800

Jim Brick wrote:

> At 10:56 PM 11/17/97 -0500, you wrote:
> >> Barcelona,London,Bombay, Delhi, Dhaka,Calcuta,Delhi(again),London(again)
> >> and Barcelona..............

> >lab do it in batches; not all of it at once. They have power failures,
> >water shutoffs, rack crashes in the dip and dunk and other gremlins to
> >watch out for. What I don't understand is how they screwed up both color
> >and black & white.
> >
> >Carl S.
>
> A very close friend, an award winning wedding photographer (Judy Wilson)
> shot one of her supposed "best" friend's (the wife to be) wedding. Both the
> bride and groom families were very rude, would not cooperate, and went out
> of their way to make Judy's life miserable. These people were very well off
> and the wedding was held at a posh country club. Before the wedding, Judy's
> "friend" said she wanted all of these really cool photos. Judy, therefore,
> could not for the life of her, figure out why she was being persecuted. She
> nearly left in disgust but stuck it out like a trooper. Jennie (my wife)
> and I had breakfast with Judy a couple of days later and heard all the
> sordid details. We said (all of us) "what goes around, comes around." The
> next day, she got a message from the lab that the dip & dunk rack had
> broken loose and the film remained in the developer for twenty to thirty
> minutes. They finished the processing but the neg's were like an
> eclipse-of-the-sun filter. Judy remarked... "there is a God!" and she
> delighted in telling her ex-friends that there were no pictures and they
> would have to go to the guests that took happy snaps. So instead of world
> class wedding pictures, they got only happy snaps.
>
> I'm not sure why I told this. Processing equipment breaking I guess. Maybe
> there is truth to the saying "what goes around, comes around!"
>
> JimJim:  When you work for free that's exactly what they feel you're worth.
 The amount of cooperation that you get is in direct perportion to what
you charge. Another thought for today is never work for friends and
relatives.  If you charge them, they feel that you are ripping them off.
 Do it for free and they feel that they should have gotten someone else
who is "really a professional."  And Never, Never, recommend anyone or
you'll never hear the end of it.
jack gottlob