Subject: Immigration
From: firkin@netconnect.com.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 08:53:39 +1100

G'day all,

I must retract. I used Pommy b's a bit tongue in cheek, as is common banter
between our countries, but it was unfair. The bad experiences I had were
way back in the 70's and early to mid 80's, when the British Customs did
not seem to encourage visitors at all, and were rude badly trained and
unhelpful. It also seemed at the time that few of them spoke English, BUT
my last visits have been quite different, though just as strict on the X
ray machines, the officers were courteous helpful and well trained. My only
beef in the 90's is the number of the machines. We had 3 inspections on a
transit visit moving between lounges and departure gates. This seems to be
architectural as much as anything and was frustrating, but I was better
prepared.

Also I should add, that in the 70's and 80's, the worst immigration
officials were those here in Australia, where they may have spoken English
but made little efforts to be helpful especially to those who did not.
Thankfully this attitude seems to have changed, and the  Australian
officers have been fantastic on all journeys I've made recently. Perhaps
they at last recognize that welcoming people to the country is part of
their job. It seems the only country actively discouraging visitors at
present is Egypt. My heart goes out to all those involved in this terrible
crime.

Alastair Firkin,