Subject: re: Buying M6 from the US
From: "Art Searle" <w2nra@3villagecsd.k12.ny.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 1997 10:04:50 -0500

Hi Marc

you wrote:
> As I am about to buy an M6 in the next few weeks this statment got my
attention,
> would Bob or anyone else in the US care to post a few typical prices for a
> M6 and a 35/f2.

I just bought an M6 at Split Image Photo, a local camera store here in New
York.  The prices I was quoted was very close to what B&H was selling it
for.  I was quoted the following after rebate:

Leica M6                $2,025.00
35mm f/2                $1,300.00
35mm f/2 Asph      $1,325.00
35mm f/1.4 Asph   $2,600.00

I originally ordered the M6 with the 35mm f/2 lens.  The store called Leica
USA and was told they were out of stock and didn't expect to get any more of
them.  So I changed my order to the 35mm f/2 Asph.  Another call to the
Leica USA indicated that they are on back order and may be available in 2 to
4 weeks in black and longer in chrome.  So I upgraded my order to the 35mm
f/1.4 Asph and it will be shipped this week.  Leica USA has both Chorme and
Black M6s.  I didn't ask about Titanium M6s.

So, unless you can find a dealer with stock, I don't see the advantage of
ordering from USA.

Art

Art Searle, W2NRA, Lake Grove, NY, USA
20 miles east of Nikon USA, 62 miles east of Leica USA