Subject: Re: Many are Cold, Few are Frozen
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 19:02:09 -0800

The chemistry, as I remember, behind the decreased reciprocity failure
reflects the nature of the latent image. Altho it theoretically takes only
one photon to turn a silver halide crystal into a silver latent image, the
fledgling latent image is very unstable. Any random electron "noise" can
dislodge the image. Of course, the warmer the film, the more energy is
available to undo the image. Remember, we are talking about extremely low
light levels from distant astronomical sources.

By lowering the film temperature closer to absolute zero, the latent image
can collect several photons of energy, creating a stable latent image
before random electron energy can undo the effect.

At least, that's how I remember my photographic chemistry from college
almost 30 years ago.

Gary