Subject: Re: kari on Salgado
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 08:30:40 -0600

At 12:57 AM 11/14/97 -0500, you wrote:

><< Ah! That's why I don't like TERRA as much as WORKERS (?) >>
>

>It's My opinion that Salgado's best work is An Uncertain Grace.

I really can't say which I think is better. An Uncertain Grace is about
people who populate mountainous regions. Workers is more an "archeology of
industrialism" or trying to capture not just the people themselves but the
work that they do before it disappears. The former, to me, is more lyrical,
based on his love of those people. The latter is more a sad look at the
passing an honorable way to make a living (with one's hands).

To me they are equally good. I can only imagine what the body of his work
will look like in the end. I hope I'm around to see it.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

He prayeth best, who loveth best all things both great and small; For the
dear God who loveth us, He made and loveth all.

"Rime of the Ancient Mariner"