Subject: Re: was : Salgado & assnt. & TV crew!
From: Jack Gottlob <sam@injersey.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 09:38:37 -0800

ted grant wrote:

> Donal wrote:
>
> <<<<Makes you wonder at the "reality" of documentary films when they go in
> with 4-5 person crew (not to mention attitude, in my experience).>>>>
>
> Hi Donal,
>
> A couple of years ago I had an assignment on a woman suffering from ALS,
> the Lou Gerhig disease and I had asked that she and her care giver carry
> right on as though I wasn't there.
>
> The reponse was, "Yes right! Just like that TV crew who were here last week
> and said, "we'll be like a fly on the wall, you'll never know we're here!"
> And there were 8 in the crew!!! The shooting took place in the home and how
> the hell a documentary TV crew of 8 can be "like a fly on the wall?" is
> hard to believe.
>
> I mean it's tough enough being a single Leica toting photojournalist
> working in confined quarters and trying to be unobtrusive, let alone a
> video crew be unobtrusive.
>
> tedTed:  I shot weddings for the last 20 years or so. (I had a school and
portrait studio)  Fron the remarks that people make to each other while I
or my video man is standing there leads you to believe that it you're
there long enough, they don't seven see you.  The video that had very
sensative mikes pick up conversations that have to be edited out to save
embarrassment for the client.  I so know that everyone is very concious
of us in the beginning, but after awhile we just aren't there.
jack