Subject: Re: M6 malfunctions
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 22:45:56 -0500 (EST)

Jack, I agree with you on the reliability of the M6. I have used them since
they became available and have gone through about 10 bodies in the last 12-13
years.The very first version of the M6 had a problem with the meter in some
bodies, the chip went haywire and had to be replaced. I had it happen on one
camera, I had the filmcounter stick on a " Panda" M6 and the filmadvance
break on another. My latest M6, a Titanium # 2289 xxx and a black one with #
2297xxx have shown no problems.The Titanium one had a slightly sticky
filmcounter return but it cured itself after 30-40 rolls.
 Some of the bodies I keep are used as testbenches in my machineshop. Every
Rapidwinder is cycled through several bodies, first empty and then later with
film. One the bodies spent 3 years in the shop, dust, oil and rather rough
treatment from being used as a " adjuster" to fit clutches and on the average
probably 1000 to 1500 exposures/day ( running the body empty with the
winder). This is tough for any camera. After this time I put the batteries
back in camera, expecting to find a dead meter. It worked perfectly and the
only problem was that the slow speeds were a bit sluggish ( I cycle the
winders through at 1/500 or 1/1000,) After some exercise they were fine. We
have to wait another 15-20 years to see if the M6 has the stamina of an M3 or
an M2, but my feeling is that it is a very rugged camera.
Tom A