Subject: Re: Tell me about the R3?
From: ChipZHZ@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 02:18:35 -0500 (EST)

<<  What's the difference between
 the R3, R3MOT and the R4, R4s & R4sp. >>

The short course:
R3- First Leica electronic based on Minolta XE-1. Spot metering and
averaging.
35,600 black,4,250,chrome, 25,000 MOT.  Both common.  Mine developed meter
problems shortly after purchase. Manual or auto(apeture priority?) Rather low
resale value.

R4 based on Minolta XD-7, much smaller and lighter than the "3". early
versions also reputed to be somewhat problematic. Manual, apeture or shutter
plus program modes. "S" without  program mode or shutter priority, "SP", last
of the 4's, also known as "MOD 2",  DIfferent advance crank, thought to be
built "tougher".

I have owned them all except "S", enjoyed the SP the most, R3 the least.
Traded my 4SP toward R8, miss it's size, for my level of untalent, the 8's
matrix meter helps produce superior results.

- -chip