Subject: If Eric Says So — APO Regis tration
From: Robert Rose <RJR@usip.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 1997 11:47:29 -0800

OK guys, here is what the records show.  Our office has a copy of the Thomson & Thomson Trademark Index, which lists Registered trademarks.  I use this to get a quick idea of whether a mark is registered.  A real search would cost $$ and I am cheap.

The book shows the following US registrations in Int Class 9.  If you want further details, e-mail me.  Without pulling details on the marks ($$) I can't tell if a portion of the mark has been "dislcaimed" or what the description of the use is.  This is only thorough 10/31/95.

For example, I might register APO-XYZ for lenses, but disclaim use of "APO" apart from the mark as shown.  That would mean others could use APO, but not APO-XYZ.  Also, apparent dual registrations might be concurent registrations (geographically limited) or different uses.

Also, note that registration is not required for protection under the Lanham Act.  Not being on the list doesn't mean that Leica couldn't sue if there was actual confusion.

My first reaction to this is I could make a BOB lens and call it APO-BOB if I wanted.  :-)

APO                   Mitsui Sekiyu Kagaku Kogyo Kabushiki Kai

APO                    Anton Pillar GMbh

APO-Artar            Schneider

APO-Gerogon      Rodenstock

APO-Graphigon    Rodenstock

APO-Rodagon      Rodenstock