Subject: Followup to M6 purchase
From: Simon Ogilvie <simon_ogilvie@ionica.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 97 14:17:00 GMT

Well, I finally did it - I bought an M6 this afternoon with a
35 Summicron (both black).  The M6 is an early Solms
model I believe, as it has just "M6" written on the front
left side rather than "Leica M6" (serial number is 1728...)

The camera is perfect - not a mark on it anywhere.
According to the shop, it was previously owned by a
collector who probably hasn't used it.  The mechanics
are perfect even so, and the meter is spot on (compared
it with my Gossen Variosix F and it checked out fine).
As others have suggested, the LEDs don't flash when
the lens cap is left on - they just go out completely which
I assume is normal behaviour.  The rangefinder is clear
and bright.  The shutter timing seems fine, and the shutter
seems to be even quieter than other M6's I've tried!

In short - a real beauty.  I will have a hard time persuading
myself to use it instead of just admiring it, but use it I most
certainly will!

The lens, (with hood, caps, box and even guarantee card!)
will go with my 50 Summicron and older 90 Elmar to make
a nice kit.  All I have to do now is convince my wife that I
really am not going to spend any more money on anything
else for at least another year (except film of course, and
processing, and maybe a few filters, and...)

Simon.   :-)
Simon Ogilvie    simon_ogilvie@ionica.co.uk
UNIX Analyst      Ionica plc, Cambridge, UK