Subject: Re: R3 Safari w/50 Summilux
From: David Young <youngs@IslandNet.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 11:48:43

At 04:24 PM 09/11/97 -0500, Ken Wilkox wrote:
>I have the opportunity to purchase an R3 Safari with matching 50mm
>Summilux.
   <<SNIP>>
>Are there reasons not to by an R3? What might be a reasonable price for
>such a body/lens combination.

Ken:  I had an R3 for some years, and it worked like a tank.  Great glass,
and reliable ... with one oddity.

If you use the Apeture priority mode, and allow the shutter speed LED to
show the top arrow indicating a speed shorter than 1/1000ths of a second,
you would assume that the shutter would give you 1/1000th, and you'd be
overexposed.  Not so.

In this situation, the shutter is quite likely to open, and stay open for
up to 30 seconds!!!

Keep the indicated shutter speed in the proper range, and it will work
reliably 100% of the time. Mine did.  (But it sure gives you a surprise
when you make the mistake!)

Enjoy it!  Basically a fine camera - if a bit big!

David Young, Victoria, CANADA       | Out of my mind...
http://www.islandnet.com/~youngs/   | Back in five minutes.