Subject: Re: One day's work
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 02:19:50 -0500

Harrison wrote:

<<<I remain in photography because I love it.  I don't see how anyone can
be effective at this job with out loving it>>>>>

Harrison,

Your post could have been my own words, as it is eaxctly how I feel about
shooting photojournalism style assignments.

<<<<I am aware that my reputation is on the line  every time I pick up the
camera, this just keeps me on my toes.>>>>>

And if you didn't work in this fashion you might as well get a pony and
walk the streets taking kids pictures on the pony's back.

<<<My photos may not all be stunning, but all are usable and of equally
high quality.>>>>

It's better to be consistant and reliable with editors knowing they can
send you anywhere and you'll always come back with usable material!
Hopefully with a couple of diamonds mixed in. :)

Some guys have become "the worlds greatest photographer!" overnight on the
basis of "a couple of very good lucky in the right place at the right time"
photos. But they slowly fall by the wayside because they are not
consistant. On the other hand, there are incredibly great consistant
"unknown photographers" who produce material day after day and nobody knows
them.  A couple of my friends are in that category and they make, after all
expenses, over $300,000 a year. Now that's not bad when you work in a
photojournalistic style and nobody knows your name! :)

No I'm not one of them, damn! :)

ted