Subject: Re: One day's work
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 02:19:53 -0500

Harrison wrote;

<<<you generally work 10-12 hour or longer days when in the bush, spend the
nights cataloging and creating ids for unprocessed film, staying in
different motel rooms almost every night of the week.>>>>>>>

Harrison,

One thing many people don't realize is, that no matter where we are on
assignment, we still get up and "go to work!" just as though we were in an
office job back home.

Folks who only travel on their holidays assume we travel in the same
manner, only believing we do it all the time as a holiday. So one can
understand why they have difficulty understanding the "suffering" we say we
have. When, "I'm going to Paris to-morrow on an assignment! :)  "Gee are
you ever lucky!" :) Yeah! Right!

But man the food is, "well outta sight!"  :) And that French wine and oh
....... oh yes!  Our Leicas' to take our happy snaps! :)

<<<But there is NO WAY I ever want to change careers.  I love what I do,
and have not worked a single day in my life.>>>>

Same here! Work is moving concrete blocks! Being involved in photography
isn't work, it's fun in capital letters!  And if it isn't, then get a milk
route!  Why do something you derive no pleasure from?

<<<< If you are still plugging away at 68 that means I have 36 more years
to achieve it. :)  At least I am using the right cameras. ;)>>>>>

If one is in a profession they truly love with great enthusiasm and passion
it isn't work! Therefore me being 68 is merely a number, (OK OK the truth
is, some days are HELL!") And thank God I shoot with Leicas' and not
lugging around that big format stuff! :) Now that's work! :)

But there is a simple formula to help me stay in tune:

          CONCENTRATE--CONSISTENT-- CREDIBILITY
As long as you only work on those assignments which allow you time to
CONCENTRATE on the subject, produce CONSISTENT quality photography, you
wont jeopardize your CREDIBILITY as a photographer! And when you can't do
the three "C's".....retire! :)

So with my Leica's in hand and at the moment the 3 C's intact, I guess I'm
on the road for a bit yet! :) And that's what makes photojournalism the
cream of the picture taking world! (I know, I know, I'm bias!) :)

And Harrison, this quotation of yours is one beautiful description of what
it is:

<<Photojournalism without passion is merely snapshots stuck in a drawer>>

ted