Subject: Day 2 with an M6
From: "Garbutt, Robert" <RGarbutt@ncrpexec.telstra.com.au>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 09:53:00 +1000

Thanks to all the LUGnuts who helped me work out how to operate the 50/2
DR and for the good wishes with my new M6.   The design of the DR lens
is truly wondrous - and I'm more than ever convinced that the solution
to the design problems was arrived at around 2am when most engineers are
happily dreaming of worlds with no dimensions.

I got my first film back from a walk to work with the 90/2.8.  I was
able to compare it with the previous morning's film from my FM2 and
85/1.8 AF (which I love).  Both days I used Agfa Optima 100 exposed
normally and then cross processed in E6 chemistry with a push of 3
stops.  Not exactly standard conditions for a comparison, so I have
probably upset some of the more established Leica gods but the little
spirit that lives in my M6 was smiling upon me - the meter did its job
to perfection, no screws worked loose, and the 90 is wonderful.  I don't
know how to describe the lens technically, however the words 'high
fidelity' come to mind.  The shadows are beautifully detailed (cross
processed Optima 100 sends them an incredible blue) and the well lit
bits are clear as a bell - and not just your average bell, this is one
with well balanced harmonics.

As for a direct comparison with the 85/1.8 Nikkor - I don't really think
its fair to do so at this early stage.  For a start, rangefinder and SLR
image visualisation is entirely different, providing different
photographic opportunities, so I have few similar images to study.
Secondly it was my first day with the M6, so we haven't even got past
the good behaviour stage of our relationship.  Still, we are getting
along fine and I'm surprised at how well things went on our first date.
And when it comes to feel and shape and sound . . . mmmmm, the memory of
our time together makes me smile.

Regards,
Rob.