Subject: Re: Offendee, Me?: some thoughts
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 17:48:07 -0500 (EST)

Eric wrote:
>If I'm all that offensive, I'll quit the list. I know I've been posting a
>lot the past week or  so, and I'll try to slow down a bit and think harder
>whether my comments will be helpful or at least a bit entertaining.

I, for one, don't want Eric or anyone else to leave the list.  Collectively
there is a tremendous wealth of knowledge to share with each other.  Losing
some of this knowledge base would be a shame.  I come to the list to learn
things I can't get information about elsewhere...and we've been sharing this
information profusely lately.

OTOH

Perhaps we can all think more carefully about the bandwidth we take up each
time we hit the REPLY and SEND buttons on our mailers.  I have tried every
which way to filter threads in which I'm not interested and to only open
mail in threads in which I am interested.  Can't tell you how many times
I'll open a piece of this 'good' mail only to find something like: "oh yeh
Zyx, last time I tried that..."  I've also opened lots of pieces in threads
I wasn't interested in only to find the subject matter had totally changed
(but not made evident in the subject line) and there was some great kernel
of wisdom.  And I really can't open every one of the 100+ letters I get each
day from the group.

This list now has over 500 subscribers.  I intend to remain one of them.  I
also intend to keep on topic and to try to respect other folks' mailboxes.
Perhaps we could all try to keep our responses germain and substantive
rather than just banter.  We could also be more thoughtful so that when we
do reply, if our response changes the subject upon which the thread was
originally based that we make a change to the subject line to reflect that
divergence.

Regards,

Curt