Subject: 15mm R and 180/3.4
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 1997 13:45:31 -0800

There are two of us (possibly more) on the LUG that own and use the 15mm R
lens (Ted & I) and have sung its praises many times before. It truly is a
spectacular lens.

Thanks Marc for the fine dissertation on its design.

The 180/3.4 APO, I have read, was designed for the military and was
formulated for a very specific purpose. Surveillance at a specific
distance. The lens is excellent for its intended purpose, but in my
estimation, is *not* an all purpose 180mm lens. It does not like filters
(degrades sharpness noticeably, which I personally experienced), and it
does not like focussing closer than its "designed" distance. On the other
hand, the 180/2.8 new design, is bright, crisp-sharp, will take both 1.4x &
2x APO extenders, will focus close, loves filters, etc, etc, etc. So *FOR
ME*, and for good, sharp, Leica photography, with a nice bright ground
glass view, the 180/2.8 wins hands down.

IMHO,

Jim