Subject: Re: One day's work
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 1997 16:09:40 -0500

George Huczek wrote:

<<<<   Photojournalism is a tough way to make a living, for sure.  You have
deadlines to meet, and you have to plan and arrange everything you are
going to shoot to meet those deadlines, hoping that no unforeseen
circumstances come your way.  Add to that the technical pressures,
especially when working with available light -- even when it is not
"available" -- makes it even more difficult.>>>>>

Hi George,

I'd like to make a few comments about being a photojournalist of 40 years
plus and still at it, with and without deadlines in reference to your
comments.

First we are as dedicated and love doing what we do (I with great passion!)
 just as much, if not more than the "amateur", as you say "with all the
time in the world to pick and choose. Light, time and place!"

Some of us have had the good fortune to shoot the world from one end to the
other with the kinds of "restraints" you mention, but we don't make
excuses.  We take each situation in a manner of how good, bad or ugly it is
and "How can we make this work and still have people hold their breathe
with excitement at what we have done?"

We don't always make it!  But if you have a "think positive" attitude of,
"How Can I Make This Work?!", you rarely fail! They are not always the be
all to end all photographs, but if they weren't pretty damn close, you
aren't assigned to go again!

<<<The downside of having deadlines to shoot an assignment, is that you may
not get the most favorable lighting when having to return with a covered
bridge or grotto shot, >>>>>>

Sorry not so! It just means you shoot where others fear to tread,
photographing a scene under light conditions others wouldn't consider.
Therefore making a fabulous picture out of what might be terrible
conditions in the eyes of another photographer, without the ability or
thought process of "Think Positive!" :) You see in photojournalism
reportage, there are no excuses for failure!

<<<< but I do not envy your chosen career.>>>>>

I realize photojournalism is not for every ones liking, but then there are
varying forms of it. Those who work for magazines, rotogravure sections,
documentary, A/V programs, books annual reports and that is only a small
number of disciplines all lumped under the guise of "Photojournalism."

If one understands the photo journalistic "Style of Shooting" that
incorporates the Leica philosophy of available light use, it is quite an
interesting and relatively lucrative lively hood, doing exactly what you
want to do.

I wouldn't trade my years as a photojournalist for all the tea in China. As
my career has been very unique in that I have been to most parts of the
world, involved in death / destruction, life and birth, survived plane,
vehicle and boat crashes, shot the beauties of the world and the thrill of
the Olympics all in the name of being a photojournalist.

The army may say "There's no life like it!" Hell they don't hold a candle
to being a photojournalist!!! :)  We have it!

From my earliest days as an amateur all I wanted to be was "like those LIFE
magazine photographers!" That was the driving force all the time and
although I never had the privilege of shooting for LIFE, I'm not done yet!
Who knows! :)

It seems now that at 68 years, I'm busier than when I was 48! :) I'm asked
to work on projects that I know I'd have killed to do years ago. Hey,
after the first 40 years it gets easier! :)

Harrison illustrates no form of the constraints and pressures you speak of,
 as photographers' of his experience and skills do not have time to be
mamby pambying about little things like "making all his own arrangements!"

Hell he just gets out there and gets the assignment done and that's what
sorts out the "little boy picture takers" from the true photojournalists!

Sorry I may sound a bit harsh, but shooters like Harrison and others on the
LUG are constantly asked "I bet that was a lot of fun!" or the big one that
still drives me crazy, "Boy are you ever lucky getting to go to all those
places and somebody pays all the expenses!" " And they pay you to? Wow are
you ever lucky!"

And there's no life like it! :)

ted