Subject: Re: Off topic -- digital
From: Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 1997 14:32:07 -0500

At 08:18 AM 11/7/97 -0500, you wrote:
>As I mentioned in my response to the "roll call," I am trying to decide
>whether to set up a chemical or digital "dark room."  The deciding factor
>for me is whether B&W can be "processed" digitally with reasonable results,
>at least at 8X10. (I am not worried about how long the prints last...I get
>bored with them on my wall after a few months!) While I realize this is a
>bit of topic for the list, you guys are the only ones I can think of to
>ask.  Anyone have experience  doing B&W digitally?  It really would be nice
>to have TCN400 developed by my local processor and then work on prints
>digitally.
>
>If this is too far off topic, please reply directly by e-mail. Any help
>appreciated.  I will be happy to share what I find out.
>
>Steve

Steve:  I do digital B&W all the time.  The quality is outstanding.
Totally different from a darkroom print.  If I have photos that don't need
much manipulation, I still use the darkroom and fiber-based paper for the
best quality; however, for anything that I'm going to work on with
PhotoShop or play with some artistic filters, etc., an Epson Stylus Color
800 printer gives me photo quality prints.  I've heard that the Epson
Stylus Photo is even better, but I'm waiting for them to come out with one
that will do bigger than 8x10. I think you'll love digital work - I do.
Good luck,  Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP
<http://www.photogs.com/manley/index.html>
<http://www.aperture-photo.com/site/reportage/manley/manleyframeset.html>