Subject: Re: Leica M6 vs nikon FM/FM2
From: CapsTeeth@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 1997 10:11:31 -0500 (EST)

As an owner of both of these cameras, I may be able to give a reasonably
objective opinion.  To duplicate your Leica focal lengths on the Nikon will
require 35mm and 85mm lenses (Nikon does not make a 90mm).  The viewfinder
brightness in an SLR is dependent a lot on the lens speed.  The FM screens
are darker overall than the FM2's, and you can buy Beattie screens but then
you have to compensate the metering.  The best solution is using very fast
lenses.  The 35mm f1.4 Nikkor and the 85 f1.4 manual focus are amazingly
sharp lenses.  But they are quite large and heavy compared to the Leica
lenses, so although the bodies are roughly equivalent, the resulting package
is much bulkier and heavier.  The FM2 has 1/250 flash sync and 1/4000 shutter
speed.  If these, along with the other features only an SLR can offer are
important to your photography, you would enjoy your purchase.  Otherwise I
question why you would swtich from the Leica.  They are birds of different
feathers that shine equally in different situations.  I carry the FM2 as a
lightweight "pocket" camera and backup only when I have my F5's and Nikon
lenses along.  Otherwise, I will take the Leica.
Doc