Subject: Re: R 80 1.4 Summilux
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 1997 03:08:01 -0500

Chip wrote:

<<<I have the R8, do I "need" a M6? I'm just an amateur with a lot to learn
who loves the outdoors and Leicas..... What would a M6 do for me? I don't
see myself doing a lot of street scenes?>>>>

Hi Chip,

A couple things to consider:

Money, as in how much do you have to spend? If you're like the rest of us
never enough for the wants, let alone the needs.

Do you need an M6? At the moment not likely when you have the R8.  Unless
your well healed and buying it wont make much of a dollar difference. Will
it make a difference in your picture taking?  Depends on your skill,
experience and subject matter. Skill and experience being the most
important.

The M6 is really a people camera IMHO, others will disagree, but I have
used mine primarily in photographing people oriented assignments. And very
rarely do I use them for shooting colour, other than when I want to do a
special effects shoot using the Noctilux at f.1.0, even then it will be
people.

You being an amateur and owner of the R8, I suggest get the comfortable
feeling of it first and making it work efficiently for yourself before you
start on the M6, not that the M6 is a difficult camera by any means.  It's
just practical to become familiar with one camera, rather than trying to
learn/use two completely different cameras at the same time.

I would say, if you are doing mostly outdoor non-people subjects then the
M6 isn't going to make any difference in your picture taking life. Use your
time to become more competent with the R8 and maybe a lens or two for that
camera, before plunging into the M6 leaving yourself shy something for the
R8. Another lens or winder?

Sorry bout the R8 being at Leica, I assume at NJ.

Look before they send it back, have them change the viewing screen to an
all matt screen, it will work wonders in your viewfinder. It also works
more efficiently with long and macro lenses.  Not sure what it costs, about
a $100 and change US, but really worth the money.

The standard screen is returned with the camera.

I hope this is of some help, but as I said, my gut feeling and experience
says, "you don't need an M6 right now!"  Never mind everyone else raving
about their M6, they don't have the R8 and maybe they only shoot
people/street things.

Take your time, get the one camera right and when your ready, move onto the
M6. You'll enjoy it more after your learning experience and skills have
made you a better photographer.

regards,

ted