Subject: Re: Master Adams versus frauds?
From: dannyg1@IDT.NET
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1997 18:03:02 +0000

Roger,

> What do you want to do, Danny, moderate the list? It's a lot more
> topical that much of what goes down here.

Moderate this list?  I'll take your off-color comment as an invitation to add my views to
this discussion.

I _like_ JP Witkin's work. It is beautifully conceived, composed, shot, printed and
presented. It is disturbing beyond words and leaves most every viewer with a lasting
thought about it. In my mind, the photos force a lasting dialogue and it seems to me that
that is what powerful art should do.

I find Ansel Adams work to be pleasant and harmonious but also lifeless. Adams best
work has a grand resonance that reminds me of anthemic music and while I give him due
respect and credit for mastering the skill, it feels cloying and unreal to me. It's a given (to
me) that I don't truly understand Adam's work and since I'm not the person to ask about
Adam's appreciation, I don't say things like 'Adam's was a fraudulent, conceited
pseudo-artiste whom couldn't have done a damn thing except make a million and ride
around in a pimp mobile'.

When this thread became propoganda, rallying the call against Witkin lovers and their
sinful (possible) use of Leica cameras to produce their 'garbage'. I took offense, and
rightly so.

In that environment, you get to hold your head high, secure in your group-think art
appreciation skills and I, a Witkin lover, will be pitied -at best-. Another reason I spoke
up is that this diatribe _refuses to go away. This is the fourth thread in recent memory
that the same acidic vitriole (sp?) has come up.

Should I really be embarrassed for the crime of appreciating Witkin, Arbus and (gasp)
Serrano? Those of you who are most vocal about hating their work say it very forcfully
and too often.

If you're all really interested, why not give more respectful reviews? There's a large
difference between saying that Adams was an extremely talented photographer who's
work I find cloying and saying Adams was a no-talent, approachable fraud whose only
real accomplishment was kissing the right cheek of the fraudulent, rich guy, 'art' world.

Danny Gonzalez