Subject: Re: Creating transparencies from colour negatives
From: Simon Ogilvie <simon_ogilvie@ionica.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 97 11:38:00 GMT

Jim Brick wrote:

> Remember... negative camera film for prints, has an orange mask. I believe
> there is a special negative duplicating film, for duping masked negatives,
> and giving you a true positive transparency, sans mask. I don't know the
> film number. I believe it's Kodak film. Probably a motion picture release
> film. Someone else will have to add to this.

In theory, duplicating a negative onto negative stock of the same
type (ie. duplicate Fuji Reala onto Reala etc) should cancel out
the orange mask.  In practice I doubt it's that simple!

There is a product from Kodak called Vericolor Print film which
is an RA4-process material that you print onto from negatives
like ordinary printing paper.  The result is a positive, transparent
image, ie. a slide.  I have used it to duplicate medium format
negatives to make 4x5 slides.  I also have a box of 10x8 material
which is similar but made by Agfa.  Ilford also make transparent
and translucent materials for "printing" from slides, to make
large display transparencies.

Anything's possible...

Simon.
Simon Ogilvie    simon_ogilvie@ionica.co.uk
UNIX Analyst      Ionica plc, Cambridge, UK