Subject: Leica quality in large format lenses?
From: "Juan F. Sanz Cervera" <Juan.F.Sanz@uv.es>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 19:04:09 +0100

I don't know what to expect from this question, but here it goes :-)
Besides loving and using my M Leicas and Rolleiflexes, I also enjoy large
format photography. I only do B&W work, and have found that for me (and I
don't claim that it should be the same for others!), older Leica lenses
work better than newer designs: lower overall contrast and great
resolution. I can always adjust contrast when I am making a print, so the
reduced contrast is not a problem, but more like an advantage in my case,
as everything is easier to print.

Now here goes the question. For large format I use modern lenses (Plasmats
and Biogon-like designs from Schneider and Rodenstock), with excellent
resolution but also with very high contrast. Does any of the LUG members
know of large format lenses with Leica-like quality? I am looking for that
elusive Leica look, bokeh, whatever, and great resolution with moderate
contrast. Is there such a thing? If this is too un-Leica for the list, you
can always e-mail me directly :-)

Regards,

	- Juan

                                     Juan F. Sanz Cervera