Subject: Re: LUG bio
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 07:37:11 -0800

Eric Welch wrote:

> By the way, I got to know a violin maker in Murphy, Oregon. Just south of
> Grants Pass. He was quite the talent. He's making up a full string quartet
> for a musical family who teach at the University in Eugene. It's wonderful
> to look at his workroom. All wood, no nails. Old world craftsmanship just
> can't be beat. Except in the current awesome optics! No compromise there,
> it would seem.

Wish I had known three months ago when I was there.  I am working on a
long term project called "With These Hands" recording hands at work.
Just did an 80 year old hawaiian woman in Kauai who has been weaving
Lauhala since a kid.  And a 85 year old Japanese retire cane worker who
works full time in his garden growing all his own food and flowers to
sell at farmer's market.

Maybe I can schedule a trip up north and your acquaintance might be
willing as a subject.  He sounds perfect, especially with the setting.

Donal