Subject: Re: Getting serious - Adams
From: FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 12:37:40 -0500 (EST)

My daughter is in art schooll getting a masters in fine arts in Chicago. She
has been a working artist for about 10 years doing commercial work and thus
is not an ingenue. She has been appalled by the closed vision of academic
criticism in the art field. If you were to take her professors seriously, 90
per cent of art falling in the "romantic" category would be considered trash.
BTW, I am a professor but not of art and I find similar self-ego
pronouncements coming from scholars in other fields as well.
Adams bashing has been in vogue (not just his work, but others as well) for
some time now. My advice to my daughter was to do what her heart tells her
and disregard the critics who are critics because they cannot create images
of beauty.