Subject: Re: Getting serious
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 08:21:07 -0500

At 10:50 PM 28-10-97 -0600, Eric wrote (about A. Adams):

>He doesn't seem to get a fair shake in European circles. Cartier-Bresson
>once said "The world is falling apart and Adams and Weston are
>photographing trees and rocks!" Or something to that effect.
>
>I credit his work with turning me on to serious photography. It was there I
>first saw the potential expressiveness in photography. So I tend to defend
>him more than I might otherwise. :-)

I can recall taking a photography course tought by a fine-arts masters
student.  When it came to the landscape part of the course, she found that
she had to show us some of Adam's work.  She grudgingly admitted that he
was actually a good photographer, but I think that was only for the benefit
of the class.

On the Photoforum mailing list, someone once asked for an example of a
print featuring extreme solarization.  I innocently mentioned a famous
photo from Adam's (The Black Sun).   My response seemes to touch a few raw
nerves from other list members.

It seems that Adam's work is not "PC".  I'm not really sure why.

Dan C.