Subject: Re: Need Advice on B&W films
From: wilcox@umcc.umich.edu (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 1997 07:18:42 -0500

All IMHO of course...

>1) Which is the best slow film? Tech Pan, Agfa Pan 25 or anything else?

Ilford PanF

>2) Which is the best medium speed film (100 ASA)? Is it T-Max 100, Ilford
>Delta 100, Plus X or anything else?

Ilford FP4+

>3) Which is the best fast speed film (400+ ASA)? Tri-X? Whab about C-41
>T-Max400CN?

Tri-X

>I want to able to use one each from the above three and then stick with
>those, so that I can learn them. In each case I am looking for the best in
>sharpness, good contrast, fine grain and not too difficult development.
>
>4) I hope to buy film in bulk. Is it easy to load myself?

Yes

>5) Will I need three different bulk loaders if I am using three different
>films? Or can one just easily change the film in a loader?

A loader isn't required although it can make things easier. You can change
films mid-roll without a problem if you do use one.

>6) Does one need to keep B&W film refrigerated?

I freeze mine as a matter of practice.

>7) How long will unexposed B&W film last with or without refrigeration?

Several years with reasonable storage conditions.

>8) I have seen that all bulk loaders are for 100 ft rolls of film. But
>Tech Pan is available in only 150 ft rolls. So how does one get around
>that problem?

Not a problem.

>9) Which developers are better powder or liquid?

Liquid or powder is not the best criteria, but liquids are cleaner to mix
(no dust) and can be prepared in any quantity easily.

>10) Do developers and other chemicals need to be refrigerated?

No, but keep the bottles full by replacing used liquid with marbles to help
minimize oxidiation.

>11) How long do they last?

Varies with type and concentration. Edwal FG7 concentrate will last for YEARS!

Cheers!

kw

- ----
Davison Middle School                  preferred---> <wilcox@umcc.umich.edu>