Subject: Re: Need Advice on B&W films
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 22:08:57 -0600

At 07:25 PM, you wrote:

>1) Which is the best slow film? Tech Pan, Agfa Pan 25 or anything else?

Agfa would be the better choice. Tech Pan is a pain to develop, and
personally, I don't like the results that much. There' s more to film than
grain. You might like the 100 speed films enough to skip this category.
Delta 100 is wonderful.

>2) Which is the best medium speed film (100 ASA)? Is it T-Max 100, Ilford
Delta 100, Plus X or anything else?

I would suggest trying Delta 100 and TMax 100. But don't use TMax, or even
D-76 or ID-11 with the TMax film. Try it with Press Maxx developer by
Unicolor. Tri-X tonality with TMax grain. That being said, I find Delta 100
stunningly good with better grain and sharpness than TMax 100.

>3) Which is the best fast speed film (400+ ASA)? Tri-X? Whab about C-41
T-Max400CN?

Again, TMax 400 with Press Maxx developer.=A0 Fantastic combination. I don't
like Delta 400 because it doesn't push good and it's tonality doesn't agree
with my taste. But if you really want fast, get P3200. Very nice stuff.

>I want to able to use one each from the above three and then stick with
those, so that I can learn them. In each case I am looking for the best in
sharpness, good contrast, fine grain and not too difficult development.

Good plan.=20

>4) I hope to buy film in bulk. Is it easy to load myself?
>
>5) Will I need three different bulk loaders if I am using three different
films? Or can one just easily change the film in a loader?

You can use one. You get about 18 rolls with each 100 ft.=20

>6) Does one need to keep B&W film refrigerated?

Nope.

>7) How long will unexposed B&W film last with or without refrigeration?

Years.

>8) I have seen that all bulk loaders are for 100 ft rolls of film. But
Tech Pan is available in only 150 ft rolls. So how does one get around that
problem?

It's thinner, so it fits in the same bulk loader (and is also harder to
handle).

>9) Which developers are better powder or liquid?

Liquid is easier to use, Powder lasts longer unmixed. I would go with
liquid. (PressMaxx)

>10) Do developers and other chemicals need to be refrigerated?

Nope, but don't let it get hot either. And keep glacial acetic acid at room
temperature, it freezes at a relatively high temperature. (Can't remember,
but it's higher than 50 Fahrenheit I think).

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Pi R Squared? No Pi R round, Cornbread R Square!