Subject: Re: PHOTO TECHNIQUES Leica article
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 97 13:12:27 -0400

>BTW, Marc James Small is thanked for helping the author at the end of the
>article along with many other people. I seem to remember seeing Paul
>Schliesser's name on this list, also.

Chris,

Yep, I'm here. I met Marc at a camera swap meet earlier this year, and he
let me play with and photograph some of his M stuff. He also sold me a
Viso adapter tube, which I used to take some of the pictures in the
article.

BTW, all of the photos were taken with M cameras. The camera pictures
(most of which were taken on the tables at swap meets and on the counters
of camera stores) were taken with a DR Summicron and a table-top tripod.
The SS M3, the M4-2, and the M6 are my own cameras, and were used to
shoot each other using a 135 f/4 Elmarit on a Visoflex II (with that
adapter tube). The picture behind the title was taken with a 50mm
Summilux-M; the DR was unavailable because it's in the photo, and a 90 or
135 would have given more compressed perspective than I wanted. I used
the 135 or else used the DR without filling the frame when taking the
camera photos, since I wanted compressed perspective in these pictures
because they were to be printed very small in the magazine. I didn't have
anything to do with the cover shot; the magazine had it done.

I scanned all of the photos directly from the chromes/negs with a
Polaroid SprintScan 35 Plus, and knocked out the backgrounds and added
shadows under the cameras with Photoshop. I did the illustrations for the
family tree with Adobe Illustrator. The view through the M6 finder was
done with Illustrator and Photoshop. I checked it for accuracy by holding
my M6 and looking through the viewfinder with one eye, and looking at the
artwork on the screen with the other eye, and I tweaked things until the
framelines, rangefinder patch and lens hood silhouette seen by both eyes
coincided.

- - Paul