Subject: RE: M-2 story revised
From: Kim Sherman <ksherman@cottenmusic.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 20:52:56 -0600

Good evening Dan,

Thanks for your comments. :-)

>>The only problem in buying a beaut like this is actually using the thing
and risking putting any more dings and scratches in it.  I hope you won't
be tempted to put it away somewhere where it will never be used.  Sometimes
it is better to by a well working but "user" quality camera so you never
have to worry about slinging it over your shoulder and having it bump into
things.  After about 9 years, my once new M6 has reached a point where I
never have to worry about trying to fool a buyer into thinking it is in
mint- or exc++; it isn't.  But it works perfectly.  (Maybe it is exc-   ;-)
)<<

The m-2 is not, i'm sure, _truly_ in collectible condition.  in my mind it
is a definite "user" body although a beautiful one.  i'm sure i'll take
great care for many years to keep from adding any additional dings, but i
_will_ be using this m-2.  i have no need to keep it in a particular
condition so as to have something to sell later at a higher price.  i only
wish to preserve the beauty of this m-2 because it is very special to me in
its own right.  leicas are certainly meant to be used---it is not my wish
to own a true collectible to keep on a shelf.  i think of these
cameras/lenses as useable art.  same with the handmade guitars i own and
offer for sale at my shop.  they are incredible works of art MEANT to be
used.  we understand that several customers buy certain of our guitars with
NO intention of using them to make music.  we try not to judge these
customers and their use (or non-use) of the instruments we offer---i will
say, however, we are most happy when we see these beautiful instuments come
back in the shop with character marks (i.e., dings, scratches) that can
only come from use.  we clean them up, polish them, tweak them ---CLA them
<g>---and send them back out.....

i'm very happy to be the new owner of this m-2.

i sold my first leica m body this week--a mint- m-4p--to a first-time leica
user in new jersey.  he said he knew it must have been difficult to let it
go, but he promised to USE it and take care of it.  i've no remorse for
having sold the
m4-p.

thanks again for listening.

kim